The National Federation of State High School Associations serves its members, related professional organizations and students by providing leadership for the administration of education-based interscholastic activities, which support academic achievement, good citizenship and equitable opportunities.
- the NFHS is the recognized national authority on interscholastic activity programs.
- interscholastic activity programs enrich each student's educational experience.
- participation in education-based activity programs promotes student academic achievement.
- student participation in interscholastic activity programs is a privilege.
- interscholastic participation develops good citizenship and healthy lifestyles.
- interscholastic activity programs foster involvement of a diverse population.
- interscholastic activity programs promote positive school/community relations.
- the NFHS is the pre-eminent authority on competition rules for interscholastic activity programs.
- national competition rules promote fair play and minimize risks for student participants.
- cooperation among state associations advances their individual and collective well-being.
- properly trained administrators/coaches/directors promote the educational mission of the interscholastic experience.
- properly trained officials/judges enhance interscholastic competition.