The NFHS Speech, Debate and Theatre Association was formed in 1986 for directors of high school speech, debate and theatre programs. Among its many objectives, the NFHS Speech, Debate and Theatre Association provides in-service training, shares information on coaching skills, assists state coordinators with development of programs, and provides high school directors with opportunities for professional development.
Some of the objectives of the NFHS Speech, Debate and Theatre Association are to:
- Coordinate speech, theatre and debate programs at the state and national level
- Provide in-service training for high school directors of speech, theatre and debate
- Create a network of educators who prepare students for contests and festivals
- Share information, ideas, coaching techniques and contest management skills
- Involve more high school coaches in the process for choosing the national high school debate topic
- Assist state coordinators with the development of programs
- Facilitate communication between coaches and directors at the high school level with those at the college level
- Provide high school speech, theatre and debate directors with opportunities for sustained professional development
Membership benefits include:
- Access to 23 NFHS speech, debate and theatre publications
- Access to online publication The Forensic Educator
- Subscription to High School Today
- Excess liability insurance coverage (more information)
- Professional development opportunities, through NFHS regional summer workshops for coaches
- Membership card
- Discount privileges on car rentals
Your membership in the NFHS Speech, Debate & Theatre Association provides insurance coverage, including excess general liability. For more details on insurance coverage, visit . Coverage is included as part of your membership for no additional fee.
If you have questions concerning the insurance program, please call 800-526-1379.
The current NFHS Speech Debate and Theatre Association annual membership fee is $20.00.